Re: Anti-corrosive lube for Magnessium to aluminum

To: "James Tone" <gmc6power@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Anti-corrosive lube for Magnessium to aluminum
From: "Ed Weldon" <23.weldon@comcast.net>
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 11:42:22 -0700
I didn't know about Glyptol's favorable performance in the salt air
environment.  That's a good tip.

In addition I'd mention that just about any good plastic tape will provide
corrosive current insulation between flat surfaces clamped together as long
as dirt that can absorb water isn't allowed to build up outside the joint.
This is a good case for not chamfering the edges of the parts.  The driving
voltages between dissimilar metals seldom exceed 1.5 volts unless the
situation is being helped along by a poor path to ground. (watch out for
this one).  I'd speak to the polarity thing here; but the reference book I
need to check out to verify what I say is buried in my library behind all
the stuff that needs straightening out the first rainy day out here in CA.

Oh yeah--Don't put any tape in a joint where the bolts have to be torqued to
prevent their failure in fatigue (like critical engine parts and possibly
some suspension parts).  This one is a complex subject I have trouble
explaining even to other engineers.  For the moment, at least, please just
take my word for it....................Ed Weldon