Re: Magazine Test Data

To: Bryan Savage <b.a.savage@wildblue.net>,
Subject: Re: Magazine Test Data
From: "Robert J. Denton" <foxriverkid@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 15:18:24 -0400 (EDT)
Having spent many years in the auto magazine business I'll say "Bryan, you are
partially correct. However you are giving them the benefit of the doubt."

The number one primary purpose of a magazine is to make money, period. How do
they make money? Selling advertising space. If you don't keep your advertisers
happy, you lose them. Items used in how-to articles are the products of
advertisers and not picked because of some quality factor. Car-of-the-year
awards are sold. Yes, sold. Articles in magazines fill the space between the
ads, no more, no less. Anything you learn from a consumer magazine is either
coincidental or a bonus.

Know why they call auto enthusiasts "Car Buffs?" Because the magazine industry
referred to it's readership as Bufoons. Simple, ain't it?

Bob Denton