RE: Tappet adjustment

To: "'streepey'" <streepey@jps.net>
Subject: RE: Tappet adjustment
From: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@mn.mediaone.net>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 19:02:23 -0500
The old saw says "If it works, don't fix it".

However, the really correct answer is "It depends." The .019 setting was
called for on the early cam. Your serial number would appear to put the
engine with a later cam as it came from the factory. It is possible,
however, that the cam might have been replace with the earlier cam, but
most often the reverse was the common practice. It's also possible
(likely) that the original cam was reground at some point to a different
profile.

It will not hurt in the least to run with a .019 setting on either the
early or the late cam, but running .012 on the early cam is a recipe for
burning valves, since the early cam profile will not allow the valves to
stay open long enough to avoid burning if set to .012.

So, my advice is unless you're absolutely sure the cam is the late cam,
leave the setting at .019 and continue to run cool.

Regards,
Lew Palmer