Re: Tire pressures

To: Lawrie@britcars.com
Subject: Re: Tire pressures
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2001 07:37:49 -0400
Lawrie,
  Thanks for the pressure suggestions.  Yesterday I lowered mine to 22f
and 24r (bias ply tires)  and went test driving.  WIthin a mile I had to
make an emergency avoidance maneuver at about 30 mph.  The car responded
perfectly--better than with any other pressures I've used.  No tire
squeal, just fast, level (for a TD) maneuvering.
  Thanks.
Bob

On Thu, 26 Jul 2001 11:20:34 -0700 "British Sportscar Center"
<Lawrie@britcars.com> writes:
> Hi, Lee,
>
> 22lbs is an interesting number to be published - if you look in the
> original
> TD factory manual, it says "It is of the utmost importance that the
> tyres be
> carefully maintained at a constant pressure of 18lbs. per sq. in." !
>
> I've always found that, with bias ply tires of the original size,
> 22lbs in
> front and 24lbs in the rear gave the best combination of wear,
> handling and
> ride. With radial tires of the size you are using, I recommend 24lbs
> in
> front, 26lbs in the rear for general use. Add 4 lbs at each end if
> you are
> going on a long, fast drive, and increase the differential from
> front to
> rear to 4lbs if you are carrying a suitcase on a luggage rack (esp.
> the
> low-mount rack.)
>
> Lawrie
> British Sportscar Center