FW: 8x1mm Helicoil Kit

To: "'Bud Krueger'" <budkrueger@earthlink.net>,
Subject: FW: 8x1mm Helicoil Kit
From: "Lew Palmer" <lpalmer@mn.mediaone.net>
Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2002 12:42:23 -0600
Resend, due that STUPID trailer again!

-----Original Message-----
From: Lew Palmer [mailto:lpalmer@mn.mediaone.net]
Sent: Saturday, February 09, 2002 12:38 PM
To: 'Bud Krueger'; 'mg-t'; 'MG List'
Subject: RE: 8x1mm Helicoil Kit

Bud,

I have two suggestions:

1) Rather than Helicoils, I've used a product called "Keyserts". They
are a threaded metal insert, not a coiled wire. You use a standard (12
mm, I think) tap and a small inexpensive tool that comes with the
Keyserts to set them. They are hardened and a much stronger than
Helicoils. They also don't have the nasty habit of uncoiling when you
insert the bolt too far or remove it. They are available from a number
of industrial supply companies. I got mine from Lawson Products. The
Lawson product number for the 8mm x 1.0 is 19821 and the setting tool is
89864. You should be able to find a Lawson distributor locally.
Otherwise, http://www.lawsonproducts.com.

2) Helicoils are available from any number of industrial distributors,
including Lawson Products. A quick check with your local auto parts
house should turn up a ket or two.

But again, I MUCH PREFER the Keyserts. They're easy to install,
extremely strong, and work as well in aluminum as cast iron. I couldn't
get a Helicoil to hold well in my aluminum timing chain cover. The
Helicoil kept pulling out. But the Keyserts worked beautifully, allowed
me to put much more torque on the bolt. And, the best news is they are
MUCH cheaper than Helicoils.

Regards,
Lew Palmer