Re: Can't Read Dip Stick when Engine Hot

To: bobmgtd@insightbb.com
Subject: Re: Can't Read Dip Stick when Engine Hot
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2002 09:21:07 -0400
Bob,
  Are you changing your oil too often, so that it is not dark enough to
see against the dipstick?  Seriously, I understand the problem--at oil
changes I pour in the full quarts, then start engine and check with the
stick to determine the fractional quart still needed. Try holding the
stick so that light reflects off the wet area and gauge from the
reflection. That's the only way I know of to see where the clear, clean
oil is on the stick.
   Someone mentioned a dye that could be used for chasing oil leaks. I
believe, though, that the dye only became visible under UV light.
   I used Kendall oils at one time.  They were darker in color than
others at that time. Perhaps they still are.
Bob