Re: Oil pump priming -1953 TD

To: popeymike@aol.com
Subject: Re: Oil pump priming -1953 TD
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 13:05:43 -0500
Hi Michael,
   The "late" TD pumps, commencing about engine #20972,  have a priming
plug at the top.  With the plug removed, one pours oil into the hole
while someone turns the crank or pulls the starter knob.
   Some owners have had success by using a pump oiler to push oil
backwards through the oil pressure gauge line to the pump.  Though I've
never had to do this, it sounds messy. Perhaps using a MityVac or some
other suction on the oil pressure gauge line would work to pull oil up
into the pump with less mess.
   Another idea that comes to mind is disconnecting the oil pressure
gauge line, putting a rag over the open end, then spinning the engine on
the starter for a second or two, hoping that the absence of resistance
would allow oil to prime and pump quickly.
   Has the engine had OK pressure before? Did the oil pump pump up
promtly when engine starts?  Did you do the drain & refill fairly
quickly, say within 15 minutes or so?     I ask because in all the years
I've driven my TD the pump has never lost its prime. I too fill the
filter, spin it on, (before installing the spin-on I filled the
horizontal cannister), then pull the starter and immediately the gauge
needle would jump up.
Bob