Re: Oil Priming.

To: crownwhl@sover.net
Subject: Re: Oil Priming.
From: Bob Howard <mgbob@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2006 09:54:47 -0500
Gene,
    Eliot's pressures seem to be fine.  As MG described in the MG
Operation Manual,  in the section on Instruments,  "A pressure between 25
and 40 lb (1.75 and 2.8 kg/cm2 ) is shown under normal running
conditions. A lower figure is shown when the engine is running slowly."
    In the section on Engine Lubrication, "It will be found on first
starting the engine from cold that a high-pressure reading will be
obtained on the oil gauge. This will gradually drop as the engine warms
up and the oil becomes more fluid, until a normal pressure of
approximately 25 to 40 lb./sq.in. (1.75 to 2.8 kg./cm.2) is indicated.
Avoid racing the engine when first starting up while the oil is cold. On
the other hand, do not let it idle too slowly. It should be allowed to
rotate at aproximately 1,000 r.p.m., an engine speed equivalent to 15
m.p.h. (24 k.p.h.) in top gear."
    We like to see higher pressures these days when we can read gauges.
Who knows what pressures really are in engines that have only lights?
Bob