Transistors, diodes and fuel pumps

To: MG <mg-t@autox.team.net>, "Rick Fisk" <refisk@chartermi.net>
Subject: Transistors, diodes and fuel pumps
From: JohnD <johnsfolly@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 28 Aug 2007 09:45:41 -0400
A question for you electronic types:  About 20 years ago, while siting at a
bar in North Wildwood, NJ, a friend of mine did the transistor upgrade to
the low pressure SU fuel pump from my TD.  It has worked flawlessly and
burned points have been a thing of the past.  However, last weekend, I
dropped in  an Optima battery a friend had given me, and like a dummy, I
connected it with a negative ground instead of the appropriate positive
ground.  Course, when I turned on the key, the fuel pump remained silent. I
banged on it, and did the usual stuff-- but the power was reversed through
it for quite awhile before I came to my senses.

Last night, I noticed my stupidity, turned the battery around, and the fuel
pump started right up!

Why did  the polarity-sensitive electronics not "fry" when the got  juice in
the "wrong" direction?  Should I assume pump failure is near in my future
and swap pumps now?

Many thanks for the education.

JohnD
--