Re: FRONT END WANDERING

To: William G Abbott <william.g.abbott#064#boeing.com@mail.mdc.com>, mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net (IPM Return Requested)
Subject: Re: FRONT END WANDERING
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 98 22:00:36 PDT
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@Autox.Team.Net
Re:  wandering-

Check the toe-in as others have said.  Also, another MGB "loose"
point to check are the bolts that hold the lower A-arm pivot
to the crossmember.  These *do* rattle loose.  I've changed mine
to aircraft grade bolts and nylock nuts, and I still check 'em
every few events.

Re:  handling mods-

I've got the Hopkinson handling kit on my 'B, a '75 with stiff
lowered front springs and lowering blocks on the back.  I have stock
shocks on the rear. Front bushings are V-8 lower, nylatron upper,
urethane sway bar.  Rear bushings are stock front, nylatron rear,
nylatron spring locating pads (do this one people!), rubber sway
bar.

 I agree, a softer rear on a 'B is a good thing
(also has been mentioned in books on Spridgets).  The only times
I've had the rear go out from underneath me were 1) a bit too
much trail-braking, and 2) running *hard* in the rain through
a decreasing radius sweeper (it was my last run of the day!).

My 'B sits a couple of inches lower than a stock RBB.  My only complaint:
I haven't taken the time to engineer/fix the bump-steer caused by lowering
the car.  It can be a bit "nervous" on rough roads.  I'm also running
a lot of negative camber (lowering plus the neg camber a-arms).
The car turns in like a go-cart.  Well, I've got another complaint, but
that's a question of when I'm going to get serious and invest in some
R tyres!

I'm following Jim Stuart's advice and will be installing a wire-wheel
rear axle with bolt on hubs to make room for my ex-Z car wheels with
Yoko A509 205/60-14s.

I'm currently in the process of putting together a 3.5 litre with
"federal" injection.  My hotwire 3.9 is going to the background so
I can build it right.  (and collect more hotwire parts!)  I've got
all of the federal injection system, and a decent 3.5 block.

How's everyone else projects?

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary                          http://www.teamsanctuary.com/