Pressing pistons off con-rods

To: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Subject: Pressing pistons off con-rods
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 12:08:46 -0800
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Ok, I've always taken *everything* to the machine shop.  I've got
a bunch of Rover con-rod assemblies sitting about, and I'm trying
to get rid of stuff I don't want/won't use.  If I make a jig for
my benchtop hydraulic press, will I screw up anything if I press
the pistons off of these con-rods myself?

Also, here's the current saga:

Disassembled one of my 3.5s, oil control rings were gone, and on a
couple of pistons the lower compression ring was so coked up they
had siezed.  Yuck.  Scratched bores.  I'm going to have it taken out
020, go with higher compression pistons, and it goes in the 'B.  I've
decided that my 3.9 (which only needs rings, bearings, and a camshaft,
no machine work) will go in my Range Rover.

Hope everyone's projects are rolling along,

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary                          http://www.TeamSanctuary.com/