Re: SCCA solo II and V8's

To: Glenn <g_wakefield@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: SCCA solo II and V8's
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Fri, 08 Sep 2000 20:57:19 -0700
Cc: mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Glenn,

Yes, a 'B V-8 would run in E-Mod (production based over 3? I can't
remember, litres).

Here in San Diego we have a class (local only) called Street Mod.
Production based cars on DOT approved tires, run whatcha brung.
My 'B (still has the 1.8 four, I've been too busy with the rally
car to finish the V-8) runs in SM -- too many mods for DSP.

My car has been lowered, but not too much, still a street car.
Negative camber wishbones, lotsa arguments there, but can be
beneficial on autox car (not as good on track, and no way on
the rally car).  Stiff bushes and spring pads, front and rear
sway bar.

The car is well balanced, fun, and almost as fast as my friends
stock Corvette (maybe a bit of driver experience factor there!).
With the 1.8, it's S-L-O-W.  On horsepower courses, I get eaten
alive.  On twisties the car is a blast.

If you are planning on running a streetable 'B V-8, you will
not be competitive in EM, at least on a national level. Usually
you will find that locally they're aren't enough Mod cars to make a
class, and you'll get bumped.  Mod allows exactly that, you can
build a V-8 powered MGB with a tube frame and carbon fiber body
if you want, it's a big horsepower and big $$$ class if taken to the
extreme...

However, if you want to race, go and have fun.  Autocrossing will make you
a better driver!

I expect when/if I get the V-8 in mine, it'll be a blast, and competitive
in our local class.  Actually I'm currently the Street Mod points leader
in San Diego, but that's because I drive a lot and not because the 'B
is particularly fast.

Now, if you wanna talk Group 5 MGB GT V-8 rally cars, that thought has
crossed my mind too!

My rally GT is much the same as the autocross car, handles great, needs
some go!

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary                          http://www.TeamSanctuary.com/