1974 1/2 B - Which engine?

To: mgbv8 <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: 1974 1/2 B - Which engine?
From: Chris Paris <lanciaracer@home.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2000 22:23:44 -0500
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Hello fellow listers -

I am new to the MG V8 mailing list.  In the past couple of years, I have
had opportunities to visit British car shows with a couple V8 MG's.
Just this year, I had attended a car show in Champaign, Illinois, and
had the opportunity to meet Dan.  A beautiful red TR-6 caught our
attention, with talk of a SB Ford TR6!

I am also a participant in the SCCA, and autocross race my current car.
I have longed for a V8 again, and an opportunity arose for me to acquire
a 74 1/2 rubber bumper B.  As this will be my race car, I have an
interest in a little more horsepower than the standard 1800.  So, having
read many MG V8 newsletters from friends, and seeing multiple V8 B's, I
figured why not?  However, I have always been a Ford guy at heart.  I
have seen many Rover engine swaps, but very few SB Fords.  My goal is to
have my B running next spring, so the first part of the swap is deciding
which motor to go with.  There obviously would be minimal development
work to do with the Rover conversion, but I am unfamiliar with this
engine and the performance a person can expect.  My B will be lightened
as much as possible.  If I could place the SB Ford in the car, I would
expect the engine to have roughly 325 horse.  Is this a reasonable
number from a Rover?

I guess I am just looking for a little advice from you experienced V8
owners.  How hard is it to place the Ford in the B as opposed to the
Rover?  Does anyone make any conversion pieces for the SB Ford?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Chris Paris
Lanciaracer@home.com