RE: Rover Gearbox Tunnel Modifications

To: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>, "v8" <mgb-v8@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Rover Gearbox Tunnel Modifications
From: "Jim Stuart" <jimbb88@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 23:42:24 -0400
Sender: owner-mgb-v8@autox.team.net
Either the T-5 or Rover tranny will require mods to the tunnel. I prefer the
big hammer method, having done 5. It is much faster and easier than cutting
up the tunnel, & who doesn't enjoy little pain. After the first 5 min. or
so, the arms do start to ache. My first conversion used the old T-50 GM
tranny which did not require any tunnel mods but this is a weak tranny & is
now long out of production.

The choice of cross member has nothing to do with engine/transmission
location, as the engine mounts are on the frame. Either cross member can be
used, but I prefer to use the early cross member as the best way to lower
the car or maintain the ride height in the case of a chrome bumper car.

Many of Glenn's ideas are good ones. I tend to listen to someone with 100
plus conversions under his belt over another who writes well but has little
experience and offers lots of bad advice such as raising the ride height of
a chrome bumper car with a rubber bumper cross member and moving the engine
forward.

Jim Stuart

Reply to <jimbb88@comcast.net>