'73 MGB Misc

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: '73 MGB Misc
From: "John M. Trindle" <jtrindle@tsquare.com>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 1995 23:33:44 +0000
Thanks to all who helped with my reverse light question and so on.  I had
a disk crash and so may have missed a few of the responses.

When I took the car into the muffler shop Saturday I was able to see the
guy back it out of the parking space.  One reverse light does work so
that nixes the switch (actually, it turned out to be the bulb.  Sigh).

Today, to discharge some frustration with this computer, I went out and
put new GT leaf springs on the rear.  Lots of fun wringing off U-bolts
and so forth (be SURE you get the U-Bolt/bushing kits).

Well, before this operation the poor car was dragging its butt, scraping
the muffler, and making a wonderful SQUOOONK noise when making left hand
turns.  Seems the tires were rubbing inside the (slightly bent) driver's
side rear fender.  A great eye-opener when you 'ear that right behind
your h'ear.  I think it was hitting the stops a lot before, too.

Back to the muffler.  I purchased an ANSA sport muffler from my favorite
local catalog guys a couple months ago... the muffler shop guys say it is
the wrong one.  The catalog folks agree they sold me the rubber-bumper
model instead of the "right one".

Muffler guys say:

1) No real mufflers for MGs have two exhaust tips
2) They won't fit through the cutout so forget it
3) The resonator and muffler sections don't meet

I say:

1) I've seen many.  This is a sport exhaust upgrade,
   not a replacement part.
2) The bracket on the stock muffler goes under the tailpipe, while
   it sits on a post about 2 inches ABOVE the tailpipe on the ANSA.
3) I don't know, are you sure you're doing it right?

Are they full of it or am I?  Is the rubber-bumper model really that
different from the pre-75 ANSA?  I could see maybe it would dip down
further to give clearance to the axle for the higher ride height...
perhaps I have one section from one generation and the other from another?

(The reason I am going to the shop instead of doing it myself... well, I
don't have a cutting torch and the patch-work straight pipe they put in 6
months ago in place of the resonator is STUCK tight.

 Thanks again!

John M. Trindle     | jtrindle@tsquare.com | Tidewater Sports Car Club
'73 MGB E SP/P ??   | '69 Spitfire E Stock | '88 RX-7 C Stock
Home Page:  http://www.widomaker.com/~trindle