Re: Drunken MGB GT Driver.

To: Rob Forster <u01rtdf@eng.abdn.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Drunken MGB GT Driver.
From: Marc Steinberg <marc@crl.com>
Date: Sun, 14 May 1995 08:32:18 -0700 (PDT)
Nobody was drunk, but this seems like a good thread on which to relate my
only MG-related accident:

I'm convinced I'm just not meant to die in my car.  Last year during
early rush hour in Atlanta, a large, white panel truck abruptly made a
lane change.  Problem was, I was in the space he wanted to be -- with
nowhere to go as there was railway construction and a tunnel fast
approaching.  I chose to drive into the construction area (no workers,
thank god!) rather than get smashed by the truck, and I hit three big
orange barrels before one somehow got lodged under my car and I lost
control.  I hit the tunnel wall with the left front of the car, slid
along the wall 20 yards or so, spun and smashed the back left quarter and
tail into the same wall before grinding to a stop.

My 63 B doesn't have seatbelts and the top was down, but I emerged
totally unscathed.  Also, the crash somehow just missed the irreplacable
"B" panel and driver's door and caused only about 1/4" of frame damage.
I should have it on the road again by August -- but I think I'll be
putting in seatbelts this time.

Truck driver, by the way, didn't even stop.  Don't know if he never even
saw me or if he was just a jerk.  I drive a Subaru, and if I had been in
that car in similar circumstances, the car would've rolled...but, of
course, the truck driver probably would have seen me and not switched
lanes.  Ah, well...

-- Marc
GHN3/8214