MGB dash

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: MGB dash
From: gerry@hostel.lincroftnj.ncr.com
Date: Tue, 23 May 95 13:57 EDT
I don't know if this will help BUT.............

Last year I installed a early (1967 ?) metal dash in a 1975 Midget (padded
dash). It fitted with no problems and I only had to drill 2 holes at the
very end of the scuttle to accept a couple of small bolts to attach the
dash.

HOWEVER - after I installed the dash I found that the speedo and rev counter
(from a 1980 Midget) were too small. I adapted the smaller guages to the
larger holes with some Masonite (?) then sprayed the complete dash with
Wrinkle Finish paint. The result was superbe - I have had several people
commenting how the older style dash complements the car.

An added bonus was that you gain a couple of inches of interior room because
the dash does not stick out as far (a couple of inches in a Midget in not
to be sniffed at !!!).

I would assume that the MGB's are similar, I can not believe that British
Leyland would have designed the scuttle to fit a different dash and have to
have 2 designs running concurrently - 1 for the US market and one for the
UK market. Remember this was the early 1970's British Leyland was trying to
save every penny from keeping it self from going bankrupt  - which it eventually
did anyway !!!! I worked in the UK at the time and remember the millions of
tax pounds that the government was pouring into BL.

gerry