Re: Fire Hazards - MGB

To: ALESiegel@aol.com
Subject: Re: Fire Hazards - MGB
From: Agustin de la Calle <delacall@bcmp.med.harvard.edu>
Date: Wed, 7 Jun 1995 09:47:49 -0400 (EDT)
Alan,

I too had thought quite a few times about what to
do if the Midget really catches fire. Whenever I smell
too much gas I get suspicious and take a look if the
fuel lines start leaking again. I have seen it dripping
quite close to the hot exhaust. Good that it isn't so
explosive as in suspension with air.

So if it burns one should use the fire extinguisher.
But where? Of course in the engine compartment! So
pull the hood release lever and if it's not seized
you don't have to reach into the fender. Now who
knows what to expect when opening the hood? Is the
extra oxygen going to turn on the flames even more
and they'll greet you with a hot hug?
I guess a flameresistant blanket would be a good idea
to put on the hood before opening it.

Does anybody have experience with burning MGs that
were tried to rescue?

Have a "cool" ride,
                Gus

Agustin de la Calle               '71 MG Midget (red)
Boston, MA              delacall@bcmp.med.harvard.edu