Re: Late MGBGT overdrive

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Late MGBGT overdrive
From: "A. B. Bonds" <ab@vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: 04 Aug 1995 10:03:36 -0500
In <199508040322.AA239236534@pmoxsrv1.lvld.hp.com>, Werner Haussmann wrote:
>If this has been discussed before, please send me a copy of any helpful
>information.  I am new to the list.
>
>I have a 74 1/2 MGBGT with overdrive.  After about 10-15 miles, the overdrive
>'automatically' goes into overdrive.  It works just fine when first starting
>out.  Other symptoms are;
>   * When under load it switches back out of overdrive (normal, no OD)
>   * When overunning the engine it goes into overdrive in all gears (even
>first)
>   * I get stuck in parking spaces because I loose reverse after driving for
>     a while.
>   * Everything is back to normal after about a half hour of inactivity.
>
>Because it works when first starting out, I hope not to pull the engine.  After
>all the gears, clutch, etc should be OK. Don't you think?
>
>The oil level is OK. I use the engine oil, the green British stuff, for
>the transmission.  The solenoid is OK.
>
>I sure would like not to have to pull the engine and would appreciate
>any help.

The way the overdrive is engaged is as follows:  There is a pump on
the output shaft of the transmission that generates oil pressure.
Normally, the oil pressure is bled off through a relief port.  When
you "engage" the overdrive switch, the solenoid blocks the relief port
and the oil pressure rises to 3-400 psi.  This activates some pistons
that move the overdrive clutch (against some springs) into the engaged
position.

I would first assure that the problem is not electrical (....could be)
by disconnecting the line to the solenoid (there is a bullet connector
on the wire that you can pull) and doing your usual run.  If the o/d
engages, then it is a hydraulic/mechanical problem.  My guess is that
there is some crud in the internal hydraulic lines that is fouling the
relief port and after a while the pressure builds up.  The flaw in
this hypothesis is that when you stop, this pressure should leak off and
disengage the o/d fairly quickly.  The springs that disengage the
clutch are horrendously strong, and for the o/d to remain engaged
for any length of time after stopping beggars the imagination.

In any event, I'd recommend a complete
change of oil in the tranny (the book recommends 30W, no additives)
and you might consider dropping the filter cover (rectangle on the
bottom of the o/d unit) and changing the filter screen.  I am a bit
worried because you say you lose reverse for a bit.  This would imply
that the o/d (which has a unidirectional clutch) is engaged when you
go into reverse.  This can cause a good deal of damage, and I would
strongly urge that you not even think about reverse if you think the
o/d is engaged.
                        Good luck!      A. B. Bonds