Re: Tyres! Tyres! Tyres!

To: "Robert Hollingsworth" <SR059@ist2.co.umist.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Tyres! Tyres! Tyres!
From: Mike Gigante <mg@mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 1995 16:34:31 -1000
Last night I polled a number of club members about wheel tyres on
square arch spridgets. It seems managing 13x5 with 165/70 is a snack
for most brands of tyre. Some 13x5.5 and 175/70 and 175/60 worked,
some didn't.  It also depended on which brand/style of 5.5" wheel
(offsets).

Any more than that and you get body fouling.

A caveat about tyre sizes. A while ago on the autox mailing list, Jim
Fogarty (the designer of the BFG R1 tyre), talked about the labelling
of tyres. It seems that under the international "industry code of
practice", there is an incredible amount of slack in the size
designation for a given tyre (and the wear rating too for that
matter). A given tyres that is a *true* 175/70 could be legally called
anything from 165 to 195/60 (my approximation to his comments).

This is patently obvious by going into a competition tyre store here
and looking at Dunlop D98J Formula R (175/60) and the Hoosier Street
TD (175/60) and the Bridgestone RE61S 175/60. The actual width of the
tread varies by approx 1.25 inches, and the rolling diameter varies by
Xnearly 2 inches!

It makes a mockery of all Phil Ethier's spreadsheet!

Mike
Mike Gigante
3D interactive graphics, Virtual Reality, british sports cars, and wine
http://mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au/~mg/                mg@mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au