Re: Midget electrical problems

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Midget electrical problems
From: dodd@el.wpafb.af.mil (Mark A. Dodd, WL/ELOD, X55581/64158)
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 95 14:52:52 EDT
>     I turned off the engine on my '76 Midget the other day and the red
>     ignition/no-charge came ON... when the car was completely off.  When I
>     put the key into position II (on), the light went off.
As I recall, the light is essentially between the battery and the alternator
output.  Thus if the alternator is dying, the voltage there is low relative to
the battery.  Therefore the light goes on.  So much for theory....

>     So now the light is on when it's supposed to be off and on when it's
>     supposed to be off.  I'm not sure what's going on (I'm still pretty
>     new to this).  Is it possible that this is related to the alternator
>     problems I've been having?  I'm about to swap out the alternator
>     anyway.  Do I have other problems as well?
My guess is that the alternator is likely the root of your problems.  If it
appears as something of a short to ground, then the light would clearly
illuminate.  Swapping out the alternator would be a fairly easy check,
if the other alternator is known to be good.

Best of luck with it.  You are well on your to joining the rest of us
Scions Of Lucas (SOLs)

Mark A Dodd                 Working in the dark (infrared)
email: dodd@el.wpafb.af.mil Working in the grease (MGs)
Snail: 2700 D St, Ste 2     Working in the dust (212 Central
       WPAFB, OH 45433-7405                      Dayton, OH)
       (513) 255-5581