Re: Spitfire overdrive on 1500 Midget?

To: mgs@autox.team.NET
Subject: Re: Spitfire overdrive on 1500 Midget?
From: "A.D.Smith" <A.D.Smith@boris.umds.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 1995 09:32:57 +0100
As far as I know this is pretty easy into a Midget 1500.

I myself own a 1500 midget, and this is first on the list of future
mods, just as soon as I get a good OD box, a garage to work in /
persuade my dad that he really does want a weekend pulling an engine
and box.  I think I'll just wait a while until to engine need pulling
anyway, and then slip it all in.

I believe there is some additional support needed for the OD box, and
the tunnel needs widening slightly with a large hammer to accomodate
the OD itself.  Maybe a flywheel change too, I can't remember.

Moral of the story is : don't take my word for it as I've not done it
yet.  Find someone who has, and ask them.  There are plenty of people
around who've done this.  Try talking to the Midget and Sprite club.

This only works for 1500 Midgets I think, as the transmission is different
on the earlier cars.  I think someone mentioned the Toyota 5 speed
conversion that can be done on these.

There are companies in Britain advertising an "overdrive for your Midget
1500" service.  I could dig some phone numbers out if anyone was really
interested, I'm sure.

Andy

Andy Castellano Smith.          | email: a.d.smith@umds.ac.uk
Image Processing Group.         | http://www-ipg.umds.ac.uk/~as/
Cunliffe Labs, New Guy's House. | tel. : 0171 955 4208
Guy's Hospital, London SE1 9RT. | fax. : 0171 955 4913

1977 Chrome Bumper Midget "Mungo" for short.