Re: overdrive transmission

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: overdrive transmission
From: dcouncil@imt.net
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 1995 19:40:19 -0600
I converted by 71BGT over to an OD transmission about seven years ago. The
main cost was the OD transmission that I got from a junkyard (plus the
shorter driveshaft). At the time, it was about $400.

The only problem I noticed is that it is a tighter fit. So although I like
the transmission, it is still a pain in the butt when it comes to removing
it which I have done twice since then, once for a synchro replacement and
once to repair some oil leaks.

A switch will also be needed, but that and the wire will only be a few
dollars. The speedo cable must also be replaced at a cost of about $15-20.
So its really the labor that will be the factor when you try squeezing that
transmission in.

By the way - the oil leak problem was last year. Now the transmission no
longer leaks but the rear engine seal has started so the car still leaves
the characteristic spotting.

David Councill
dcouncil@imt.net
71 BGT