Re: Changing rod bearings "in situ"

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Changing rod bearings "in situ"
From: Silikal@aol.com
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 1995 19:54:26 -0500
Andy Mace writes:
>...([when] you could actually find BMC and Triumph dealers) my favorite
>parts counter person told me that a number of knowledgeable racers of
>cars with the BMC A-series engine would change bearing shells almost
>as a normal maintenance item. Perhaps that was 6-7 ounces of prevention,
>but it still beat the proverbial pound of cure.

This is the proverbial "engine freshening", as opposed to a rebuild.
As I understand it, the serious racers put 1-3 races on an engine
between freshenings, and do a full rebuild 1-2 times a year.  I'm not
sure what else is involved in a freshening, possibly re-lapping valves,
cam bearings, etc.

Dave Williamson (silikal@aol.com)