Re: Smoke Transfusion (part 1)

To: mgs@autox.team.NET
Subject: Re: Smoke Transfusion (part 1)
From: "A.D.Smith" <A.D.Smith@boris.umds.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 1995 10:27:57 GMT
Much sympathy on the rewiring story.  It sounds like the event that caused my
complete rewire about a year ago.  Driving down the M1 in the dark and pouring
rain, people started flashing at me.  Nothing new I thought until it became
every
car passing me flashing.  So I pulled over, got out and discovered that I had no
lights at the back end.  As I played around trying to get the lights on, smoke
started coming from various places.  The result being that I now had no front
lights
either.

The only thing left working was the hazard lights, so I finished the trip with
just
those flashing merrily.  The next day I decided that the time had come to
finally
take off the dash and sort the problem.  At this point I was imagining splicing
in
a few bits of wire, tightening the odd loose connector etc.

When I got the dash off I realized the size of the task ahead.  The whole dash
loom
had melted its insulation, so I had one big thick brown wire behind the dash,
the
engine bay loom similarly had been melted in places by the current. A complete
new
loom was the only answer.

On removing the old loom I found several "modifications" made by previous
owners.
The best of these included :    14 bare live wire ends behind the dash.
                                Radio wire in with 6 foot long peices of wire
twisted
                                        together.
                                LT wire to the coil twisted onto the
connections and
                                        "repaired" by bwing twisted together,
no tape.

The new loom duly arrived, and I labelled every connector by referring to the
wiring
diagram in the book.  This took me about 2 afternoons at work.  Then I just
went through
the car ripping off the old one and plugging in the new.  It took me a couple
of evenings
working very slowly.

All worked fine right away.

Good luck

Andy

Andy Castellano Smith.          | email: a.d.smith@umds.ac.uk
Image Processing Group.         | http://www-ipg.umds.ac.uk/~as/
Cunliffe Labs, New Guy's House. | tel. : 0171 955 4208
Guy's Hospital, London SE1 9RT. | fax. : 0171 955 4913

       1977 Chrome Bumper Midget "Mungo" for short.
DPO of 1975 Rubber Bumper Midget "Mary"  for short.