Re: Running with alternator disconnected

To: "A.D.Smith" <A.D.Smith@boris.umds.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Running with alternator disconnected
From: Dirk de Boer <deboer@duke.usask.ca>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 1996 09:53:44 -0800 (PST)
On Thu, 15 Feb 1996, A.D.Smith wrote:

> If you really must know, I've been running with the alternator disconnected
>because
> must have forgotten to plug it back in. I found out this morning after
>recharging
> my battery 4 times and getting a new battery convinced the old one was bust.
>Don't

In cases like this the red charge light should come on, shouldn't it?
If it didn't, you may have a problem with that part of the circuit. Of
course, nobody on this list would drive around for days with a big red
light on the dash, would they? Naturally, if there was a very good
reason like, for example, you were driving with the top down and
the sun was low and shining over your shoulder on the dash and you
didn't know you had to oil the rear bushing of the generator to
prevent the generator from eating its commutator end bracket and
covering the engine compartment with a fine, metal dust, then you
would be excused, but this would never happen to anybody on this list
and I'm just making up this example as a theoretical exercise.

Dirk 'it needed new brushes anyway'