Re: '67 B upgraded (?) to later car (was: '65, '66, etc.)

To: Denise Thorpe <thorpe@kegs.saic.com>
Subject: Re: '67 B upgraded (?) to later car (was: '65, '66, etc.)
From: "Ernest E. Gilbert" <lawref@lawref.com>
Date: Fri, 08 Mar 1996 14:43:12 -0800
Denise Thorpe wrote:

> The early starter can be used with a slight modification to the late engine
> backing plate.  If I could remember what that modification is, I'd tell you.

Can't imagine how to do that since the starter is in a completely
different location. Easy way is to change the plate iteslf, they fit the
same bolt holes on the engine. There is also a difference in
countersinking of the plate mtg holes which might effect the new
fklwheel, a potential problem also avoided by changing plates.

> > A small cut (3 inches or so) must be made in the driveshaft tunnel just aft
>of
> > the removable trans cover to open up the tunnel to make room for the
>shifter,

A big problem is fit of the trans case at the forward end where it
enters the tunnel. There will be about one fourth inch clearance for the
later trans and it will klunk against the tunnel sides, especially the
off side. A friend of mine finally bolted rubber snubbers to the tunnel
entry to quiet his conversion down.

Also, there are 2 sizes of input shafts which enter the spiggot brg in
the end of the crank. Make sure the new trans fits the old crank.

Ernest Gilbert
barrister@lawref.com