Re: MGB-starter?relay?

To: Roe <proe@suffolk.lib.ny.us>, chris jung <cjung@direct.ca>
Subject: Re: MGB-starter?relay?
From: BLECKSTEIN@SHELL.MONMOUTH.COM
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 1996 21:26:25 -0500

On Wed, 20 Mar 1996, Roe <proe@suffolk.lib.ny.us> wrote:
>Chris, I have the same problem, somewhat. My 80B won't start, that is the
>starter turn over when I try to start the car. I bought a new starter relay
>which clicks like the old one and the starter still doesn't turn over.
>Will probably try to hot wire the starter while it is already on the car &
>go from there. Now to your problem Chris. You might want to check the
>voltage to and from the starter relay & see if it meets specs.I would
>tell you how to hot wire the starter but I still have to figure that one
>out myself.Starters are not cheap so I may try to get one used friday.If
>I learn anymore I will let you know & I hope you do likewise. Any help on
>this matter as you guys can see would be appreciated! Like how do you
>hot wire the starter while it is on the car. Thanks ahead of time. Phil...
>
>On Tue, 19 Mar 1996, chris jung wrote:
>
>> .
>> What would be the next logical thing to check?  Should I replace the starter
>> relay, or should I test the ignition switch?  Any advice will help!!!
>>
>>         Chris Jung, Vancouver, B.C. Canada
>>         '72 MGB roadster, '89 Mustang LX 5.0

>I am always suspicious of starter problems. On the NEMGT Registers trip to
Canada in 1991, one TD continually had starter problems . After every mechanic
in the group diagnosed something else, and the poor owner was about to buy
starter number three, I ( who know little, honestly) insisted on jumping the
ground terminal of the battery to the starter. It brought the starter to
immediate new life. In the TD's situation, all had checked the ground wire from
engine to chassis but as it turned out the battery is grounded to the firewall.
This connection was poor.

In a B with the ground in the back, a jumper cable from the ground side of the
battery to the starter will quickly reveal if it is a ground problem Use heavy
cables. Bad starters on MGs are rare.

Mike Leckstein