Re: Tell me about the Midget, please...

To: mgs@autox.team.NET
Subject: Re: Tell me about the Midget, please...
From: "A.D.Smith" <A.D.Smith@boris.umds.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 1996 09:40:05 +0100
Oh dear oh dear, I see a war starting.

The midget is definately a far superior car if you want fun, low-cost, fun
motoring.  The fun factor is the main one. It's a small car that handles
a lot better than the MGB (a bit like a boat by all accounts), will corner
beautifully, and keep you smiling.

Parts are a bit cheaper, and the midget generally reliable. Sure, there are
weak points, someone mentioned half-shafts (never broken one myself!), and
the front suspension needs greasing and looking after. But none of these are
worrying things.

>>>Some folks say that they're generally less reliable than a B
No, probably about the same in most respects. If both cars are looked after
properly, I can't see any reason why a midget and a B should differ in
reliability.

>>>that they have a very limited top speed
They'll all get close to 100 MPH. My 1500 in theory will do 103 (wow!).
However, given the size of the midget, any speed feels fast. Imagine doing 100
MPH
in a car that's this small and loud, you'll see what I mean.

>>>speed of 55 or 60 MPH will actually wear out the engine!
I regularly cruise mine at 70 mph for a few hours, no problems.  We've been to
spain
and france in it, all around britain, the engine is solid.

>>> If someone could give me a comparison of the MGB to the Midget,
Midget - small, low cost, fun, great handling, fun to drive, good looking
MGB    - Bigger, looks a bit fat around the sides, not as good looking,
handling like
                        a truck.

>>>pleasure driving, not as much collectablility.
You've said it there - pleasure driving - get a midget.  And for collectability,
get a midget.

They are a small car, which means luggage space is limited. However with a bit
of
careful packing we've managed a two-person, two week camping trip on a couple
of
occasions with no problems.

I'm 6 foot 4 and I can fit in, so I think pretty much anyone could get in there
OK.
The driving position is very low down, and sitting back, so very comfortable.

Have I convinced you yet ?

OK, I'll go on.  Midgets will help you meet people, get jobs, pick up
girlfriends
/ boyfriends (delete as appropriate), and have FUN.

Andy
(completely unbiased, of course :-) )

Andy Castellano Smith.          | email: a.d.smith@umds.ac.uk
Image Processing Group.         | http://www-ipg.umds.ac.uk/~as/
Cunliffe Labs, New Guy's House. | tel. : 0171 955 4208
Guy's Hospital, London SE1 9RT. | fax. : 0171 955 4913

       1977 Chrome Bumper Midget "Mungo" for short.
DPO of 1975 Rubber Bumper Midget "Mary"  for short.