Re: Geography other than Dixon

To: etlsjfr@deep-thought.ericsson.se (Steve Foster), mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Geography other than Dixon
From: BLECKSTEIN@SHELL.MONMOUTH.COM
Date: Thu, 16 May 1996 01:53:51 -0400
Steve, Its hard to characterize a whole people, but I will match my geography
skills against anyone. (I do talk funny though) Without offending my British
friends, I was amazed while working on the Circuit of Britain 1990 to discover
the lack of understanding by the Brits of American geography or distances in
miles and time zones. This was really upsetting when the manager of a hotel in
Devon called me in New Jersey at 3am to go over some booking lists. He hadn't
realized the time difference and after all it was 9am in Britain!

We have been very active working with our British friends when they have come
here.(MMM Raid,1991) They usually would like to see NY City and Niagara Falls
in
one day and Grand Canyon the next. It is a shame that geography is so poorly
taught, everyone should know some basics about every country , the distances
and
climate of those areas, and what the people are like. There would be a lot less
misunderstandings in the world if we knew each other better. MGs help bridge
this gap in a small way as we meet and see others on a level much more personal
then a simple tourist trip.

Mike Leckstein