Re: TD fuse question

To: "W. R. Gibbons" <gibbons@northpole.med.uvm.edu>
Subject: Re: TD fuse question
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 7 Jun 1996 11:04:29 -0900 (PDT)

On Fri, 7 Jun 1996, W. R. Gibbons wrote:

> Aha! You may well be on to something.  If british amps are half as big as
> american amps, then of course the british fuses would have to be able to
> carry twice as many amps.
>
> And this would, of course, explain problems with aged Lucas components:
> they were designed for imperial amps, and when you push big american amps
> through them, of course they fail.

While Ray, as usual, has come up with a totally logical philosophical
and technical explanation, albeit somewhat akin to "my dog ate it" ;-),
allow this fellow non-EE to speculate. Back in the 1960s (I remember
them, so I must not have been there), Lucas fuses were usually labeled
simply "35 amps" or "50 amps." Today's Lucas "35 amp" fuse also carries
some notation about "17 amps continuous." It seems likely, therefore,
that the "50 amp" fuse would be rated such for a power surge of up to
that point, but actually good for about half that continuously, or
around 25 amps.

Does that make sense, EEs on the list?

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *