Re: MGB '80 TIME CLOCK

To: Robert J Ryll <rjryll@aztec.co.za>
Subject: Re: MGB '80 TIME CLOCK
From: "Christopher M. Delling" <cdelling@mail.ic.net>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 09:08:40 -0400
Robert J Ryll wrote:

> Can anyone help with a simple procedure for removing the time clock on
> my 1980 MGB Roadster. I Can't tell the make of the unit from its
> position on the dashboard as all it says is Quartz. Although the unit
> works ok the time setting control knob is broken. Are these units
> serviceable, or are original replacements available.
>
> Your comments would be greatly appreciated!
>
> Thanks Rob!
>
> rjryll@aztec.co.za

Rob-

Removal is simple, but might be difficult, due to cramped area behind
dash, and the other gages in close proximity.  Recommend you disconnect
battery first, to avoid possibility of shocks (the voice of
experience!).  A U-shaped bracket mounts over a stud (or studs, can't
remember if the clock has one or two), and with the open end of the U
seating against the backside of the dash.  When the finger-nuts are
tightened, the clock is pulled into the dash.  Removal of the nut(s)
allows the clock to be pulled out of the dash, and the light bulb holder
and electrical connection pull off.  Make sure you remove the bulb
holder from the clock, and not the wires from the holder.  Replacement
is another matter.  They are available new for around $100!  Tough to
find used, as a lot of them suffer from the same problem.  A friend of
mine's clock has a broken knob, and he has been unable to find a used
one.  He merely unplugs his, and plugs it in when the clock reads the
correct time.  Crude, but effective!

Regards,

Chris Delling