Getting Home

To: MGs <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Getting Home
From: Michael Chaffee <mchaffee@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Jul 1996 10:35:37 -0500 (CDT)
It has been mentioned before on the list that pantyhose makes a passable
emergency fan belt.  I always felt that, although this trick could
someday come in handy, since I carry spare fan belts I don't need to
worry about the hose trick.

Wrong.

The other night the alternator seized on my BMW, completely and without
any warning whatsoever.  Had I had pantyhose (or one of those emergency
adjustable fan belts), I could have gotten home by running just the water
pump off of the crank pulley.  As it was, I had to get a ride
(fortunately I was only about 25 mi. from home) and return the next day
with a new alternator.

So if, like me, you take pride on NEVER getting stranded, a provision for
this makes a smart (and conveniently small) addition to the toolkit.

Michael Chaffee
mchaffee@staff.uiuc.edu
[Note new address]

CCSO probably thinks I'm working right now.  What do you suppose they think
I'm saying?