Re: brake calipers

To: mgs@autox.team.net (mgs)
Subject: Re: brake calipers
From: todd@nutria.nrlssc.navy.mil (Todd Mullins)
Date: Wed, 17 Jul 1996 10:36:35 -0500 (CDT)
Mark Jurras writes:
> I need to change the piston seals in my '67BGT front calipers. What is
> the best way to do this. I am willing to remove the caliper since I
> have to replace the rubber hoses too.

I've had very good luck using a bicycle pump (a foot pump is better,
though a hand pump will work), holding the outlet of the pump tightly
against the rubber hose to coax the pistons out.  I have, in the past,
used compressed air; I don't recommend this method.

I also suggest safety glasses, to prevent stray brake fluid from flying
into your eyes.

I was amazed at the amount of sludge residing in the piston bores.  I
certainly feel better now that the system is squeaky-clean!!

--

Todd Mullins
Todd.Mullins@nrlssc.navy.mil    On the lovely Mississippi (USA) Coast

'74 MGB Tourer with a nice, firm pedal