Re: [mg]cylinder sleeves and tranny main shaft

To: mgs@autox.team.net, ms_florkey@kcgl1.eng.ohio-state.edu
Subject: Re: [mg]cylinder sleeves and tranny main shaft
From: kboetzer@auspex.com (Ken Boetzer)
Date: Tue, 23 Jul 1996 13:15:44 -0700
> I recently took the cylinder head off to get a look at the cylinders
> and the pistons and found two pits 180 degrees apart in the sleeve
> closest to the water pump.  It looks like they were worn in not
> gouged.  The curious spacing and worn nature makes me want to accuse
> the gudeon (wrist) pin.  Any ideas?  Regardless of how it got there, I
> need to replace the sleeves.  I say sleeves because, if I'm going to
> do one, I might as well do them all.  Is there any other way of
> getting them out other than heating up the block and cooling off the
> sleeve?  I'm planning on replacing the pistons as well since I have it
> this far apart.  Any hints or advice?  I'm not sure how pistons and
> valves are supposed to look, but these were 80-90% covered with a
> black powder/film.
>
> The gearbox is half disassembled also.  I'm having trouble pulling the
> bearing off the long end of the main shaft.  This would require a 14
> inch gear pulling type tool.  I can't find the tool, or anything
> close, specified in the shop manual.  How have some of you taken care
> of this problem?  Can the tool specified in the shop manual (18G XXXX)
> be bought somewhere?  I've checked the best local place I could think
> of, no luck.
>
> Sorry about the length of these questions and any misnomers; I'm
> pretty new.  Thanks in advance.
>
> John Florkey
> florkey.2@osu.edu

John,

Generally the sleeves in the mg engines are removed by boreing them out.
Try showing them multiple eposodes of Mr Rogers Neighborhood. :-)))))).

O.K. back to work. The machine shop will chuck the block into their boreing
machine and take out material until thesleeves are gone. They will then
do the heat/cold shrink/expand trick to do the install. Differential heating
is difficult on pieces in such intimate contact as the sleeve and block of
your engine.
Your pistons and valves sound fine, but doing rings and bearings without
a valve job sounds like bad economics. I imply you were considering not
doing the valve job, (based on your statement) but of cours this is inferance
on my part.
Your transmission bearing can be easily pressed off by the same machine shop
that does you engine work.

You'll get to be on a first name basis with them soon.  :-)

Ken Boetzer