waving at other MGs, MkII

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: waving at other MGs, MkII
From: wzehring@cmb.biosci.wayne.edu (Will Zehring)
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 08:22:09 -0400
Fellow fiends:

The question has been brought forth:

>This makes three MG's in a row that haven't waved back.  I remember
>     getting honks and light flashes even in heavy traffic back in the
>     early eighties.  Do you other drivers acknowledge each other on the
>     road?

I'll get flamed by Jay T. for this, but we Miata owners used to wave too.
Now, they are so common it isn't cool to own one anymore, so folks don't
like to draw attention.

As to MGs and such:  In my experience of encountering "my marque" cars on
the road:
--Morgan owners will pull over and talk with you for half an hour, while
their spouses sit and glower in their cars.
--Jag owners will lift their noses and accelerate away.  I sold mine because
of this.
--As to MG owners: its complex:
 Regarding B's
   chrome bumpered cars will waive to chrome bumpered cars
   rubber bumpered cars will likely wave to rubber bumpered cars
   chrome cars will not wave to rubber cars
   and because of that, rubber cars have stopped waiving to chrome cars
 A's waive to A's, but not to B's or Midgets
 Midgets waive to midgets, and probably to A's, but not to B's
 I'm not sure if A's and midgets waive to each other (see above).
 It's my bet chrome B's don't waive to midgets, but do to A's.  Rubber B's
only end up waiving to each other.  The rudest MG owners I've encountered
own rubber cars.  I can understand that, too  ;-)

Everyone waives at Bugeye owners, but virtually no one waives at Big Healey
owners.

And ofcourse, NO ONE *EVER* waives to Triumph owners.

People are too surprised at seeing Sunbeams, Daimlers, Bonds, TVRs,
Lotuseses, and such to think to waive.

Any deviation from these rules indicates someone is having a bad day.
That's about it.  Any questions?

Will "the Emily Post of the highways" Zehring