Re: stupid timing question, mkII

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: stupid timing question, mkII
From: Mike Gigante <mg@mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 19:05:46 -1000
I'm a bit late jumping in on this, but if you have the vacuum advance
hooked up, then when you 'rev' it, there is both centrifugal advance and
vacuum advance working.

To test the centrifugal advance, disconnect the vacuum line, rev the engine
to 5000 rpm and see that the timing has advanced sufficiently. On a spridget
this is approx 30 deg BTDC.

To test the vacuum advance, suck on the end of the vacuum line, while
the engine is idleing - you should an additional 5-8 degrees (I'm
guessing from the eyeball experience).

A DPO of my current daily driver conneted up the vacuum advance line to
a tap in the inlet manifold balance tube. This is exactly opposite to what
was intended!

Mike
Mike Gigante
3D interactive graphics, Virtual Reality, british sports cars, and wine
http://mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au/~mg/                mg@mega.cgl.rmit.edu.au