Re: Book - How to Powertune an MGB

To: Ulix Goettsch <ulix@u.washington.edu>
Subject: Re: Book - How to Powertune an MGB
From: "Christopher M. Delling" <cdelling@mail.ic.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Sep 1996 20:46:05 -0400
Ulix Goettsch wrote:

> On Thu, 29 Aug 1996, Cram, Geoff wrote:
>
> > Another interesting point: that early-engine 98 hp is brake hp at the
> > flywheel, presumably with no auxilliaries attached.  At the rear wheels
> > it winds up being in the low 60s.
>
> That is probably true.  However, engine horsepower seems to be the
> standard in the automotive world (be it bhp, hp net, hp DIN, etc).  Rear
> wheel hp ususally is only considered when a chassis dyno is being used.
> In the motorcycle world, rear wheel hp is the standard, since motorcycle
> magazines do their own hp tests and motorcycle manufacturers usually don't
> publish hp figures in this country (wish I knew why).
>
>     Ulix                                                    __/__,__
> .......................................................... (_o____o_).....
>                                                            '67 Sprite

Ulix-

An interesting point is that the way that horsepower was calculated
changed between 1962, and 1980.  The 92-94 h.p. that was claimed for the
1800 B series engine is now widely disputed.  The early engines still
put out considerably more power, but the figure that is generally
considered correct is about 82 H.P., using the same calculations that
were used when they came up with the 62.5 H.P figure for the late model
B's.

Best Regards,

Chris Delling