2017 miles in a BGT, just 4 days away!

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 2017 miles in a BGT, just 4 days away!
From: "W. Lee Vick, Jr." <wlvick@pobox.micro.ti.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 11:30:56 -0500
mg.friends,

        Well, the big journey commences this weekend. I'm flying out Sunday
and starting the journey back on Monday. (Brief history for those not
following my saga - I'm buying a 1970 MG BGT one-owner-from-new which is in
CA and driving it back to TX)

        I'll keep this message short (for a change) but I'm looking for
three things:

        1) The car comes with a ton of spares and I have some very good
information regarding tools to take, I've got the glovebox manual from Moss
plus the CO-soon-to-be-PO has the Bentley book, I've got my AAA Plus
membership and lots of maps, a cell phone, money, proof of insurance (got
the VIN and had the car added to my policy), and a list of questions to ask
and things to look at on the car. What am I forgetting?

        2) I am currently using as my Windows wallpaper a picture of an
MGBGT "at the races" with a couple leaning on the car and a horse in the
background, but it's too small and making it bigger just makes it too
grainy. Anyone know where I can get a nice, high-quality, big (800X600 or
better) BGT picture (chrome bumper, of course ;-) ) to use?

        3) I want to express my sincere thanks and appreciation to all on
this list. The support and encouragement on this
less-than-completely-sensible quest has been outstanding. With help from
y'all (plus my own research) I've been able to ask meaningful questions
about the car and its maintenance and the more I talk to the CO the more
convinced I am that the car has been well taken care of. This would never
have been possible without all your help and I am most thankful.

        If you have tips/tricks/comments send me e-mail or post here but do
it soon 'cause on Saturday night I start the first part of the journey.
I'll write when I get back!

                                         Cheers,

                                         Lee.

P.S.    Knew I had a fourth question. Drats.

        4) VIN:         GHD5UA200545G
           COMMISSION:  G23D022781Z
           ENGINE:      18GU-WE-H31590
           1st Sold:    13-Jan-70

        This all looks right in the Moss catalog (which is getting
rag-eared already!) except for the engine number. I don't see any 18GU's
listed near 1970. Whasup? Or did the CO just read these off wrong?

* Lee Vick           * "Something must be wrong, with me and my brain" *
* leevick@ti.com     *    Ian Anderson, Jethro Tull, One White Duck    *
* 70 MG BGT (soon!)  *                                                 *
* Standard disclaimer: TI as an organization is much too smart         *
*                      to agree with anything I have to say.           *