Odd Auto Shops

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Odd Auto Shops
From: WJAD81D@prodigy.com (MR JOHN P ELWOOD)
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 1996 21:18:24, -0500
It isn't often that I pay someone to fix something I could fix myslef,
 but I just haven't had the time lately to work on either my MGB, or
my Magnette MK III.  The inspection stickers were expired anyway, so
I figured it was time to have that done and I'd let them fix some
other stuff while they were at it.  I take it to a local Sunoco
station that has a rusting Jaguar XK150, a TR6, and a couple of 'Bs
around back.  I figured they might be able to fix British cars.
   The Magnette was taken in need of an inspection.  I called to see
if it was done, and they said no.  But when I drove past it had the
sticker earlier.  They still had to re-bush the front suspension., it
failing point, but it had a sticker anyway.  I then went past later
to find the car missing.  It was missing all Monday Tuesday and
Wednesday, when it re-appeared witha $70 bill.  It also managed to
rack up 80 miles on top of the 40 he put on it last year when he
"inspected" it.
   I took the MGB over Wednesday, and all it needed was an inspection.
  I guess three years without a repair is a long time, but it is
going to cost me $450 in repairs this time!  Needs new rear bearings,
a new rear wheel brake cylinder, new master cylinder, a new relief
valve,  because he says it's blowing oil out of the dipstick the
pressure is so high, and lots of other little things.
   I dont' mind his prices, he does good work, but now this car has
dissapeared.  It hasn't been at the shop in three days.  I don't know
where it is!  I'm just wondering, what is this guy doing with my car?
 Admittedly, it's a nice MGB.  It was the May '94 Hemmings Feature
Car, and looks excellent.  I thought it ran excellent too, but
apparently not.  But, is this guy weird or what?  Does anybody else's
mechanic take thier car on long trips?  Does anybody elses mechanic
take thier car HOME to work on it?  Tell me you mechanic stories.

 John