Re: B Points

To: mgs@autox.team.net, ichindar@magic1.org
Subject: Re: B Points
From: kboetzer@auspex.com (Ken Boetzer)
Date: Tue, 8 Oct 1996 16:12:39 -0700
> I've gotten some great advice regarding my Magnette here, so I'm going
> to pose a MGB question to you. My 67 B has had a problem with the points
> closing up: driving along, then sputter, a couple of back fires and the
> engine winds down to nothing. Thereafter, the engine runs really
> poorly, constantly backfiring. The first time this happened, I had a
> Sunbeam coil on the car. It and the points were changed, but it still
> happens.
>
> This has really cut into my driving pleasure. Does anyone know what
> could be causing this?
>
> Thanks
>
> Jeff Blackwood
> 67 MGB Roadster
> 58 MG Magnette

Jeff,

If the points are closing up the phenolic block that rides on the cam under
the rotor is wearing down. (This assumes of course that the screws are all
tight and the point set isn't just moving about on its mounting plate.)
This is generally caused by insuficient lubrication of said block. The point
follower block does require a dab of some type of grease to minimize the wear
between the cam and the follower block. I usually use generic black molylube.
Remember "A little dab'll do ya." :-)

If you are already lubing the bejabbers out of it, then I'm stumped! This is
though a common oversight.

Enjoy,

Ken Boetzer