Re: MGB windshield frame rubbers

To: jtrindle@tsquare.com, jemery@mint.net
Subject: Re: MGB windshield frame rubbers
From: BDurgin1@aol.com
Date: Thu, 10 Oct 1996 11:07:38 -0400
In a message dated 96-10-10 08:34:53 EDT, jtrindle@tsquare.com (John M.
Trindle) writes:

<< Basically you lubricate the channel well with dish soap and feed the seal
 in from one side.  Remember that you can't push a rope and that pulling
 too hard will stretch and tear the rubber.  Compress the loose end as far
 as it can go into the channel, and massage the compressed portion of the
 rubber forward.  You can make 1/2 to 1" at a time this way.

A buddy of mine and I used a rope last year for this job and it worked pretty
well. Windshield replacement is one of the more frustrating jobs...I'd rather
have red hot needles jammed into my eyeballs...well, almost.  However, I
didn't take close up photos of the body panel alignment on my 64 B prior to
new door hinges, front wing removal, windshield replacement, etc. and had a
hell of a time getting things to fit afterward and look right. The tip about
taking pictures is absolutely correct on these old cars as the panels may not
have been that close to begin with. New rubber seals makes these jobs that
much more difficult. Howver, these cars do look great afterward.

Bruce "can I borrow your glasses?" Durgin