Re: Are MGB's Designed to Overheat?

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Are MGB's Designed to Overheat?
From: ckr <ragthyme@fls.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Oct 1996 12:30:30 -0500
> <GFoster7K@aol.com> wrote :
> <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<I watched with interest the thread on overheating
> MG's.  I recently purchased
> a nicely restored '66 MGB
> It overheated (temp about 230F in the half and half coolant mixture).
> So it took 3 rounds of stopping and cooling to make it to the cooler
> air at the top
>
> >My question is...What is normal for an MGB?  Are they designed to
> >remain cool at idle with no wind and an air temp of 80F?, 90F?,
> >100F?  Can anyone relate
> >to experience with a brand new '66 MGB?

Greg:

I can't say much about a 66B; I have a 75B tourer. However, I can say,
it never overheats (touch wood). In fact, I have exactly the reverse
problem: it won't make the heater heat atall (despite a full tear-down
and rebuild of the unit last winter). I have  the plastic fan,
water-pump driven, not the electric units. Temperature on the car hovers
just a little left of the N on the guage, most of the time. Every so
often, on very long sustained highway trips, it'll make it to just a
nudge past the right of the N. I never get anything but lukewarm air
from the heater ... new core, new temp sending unit, new t-stat, and
heater control valve working per specs. ::shrug:: I simply assume the
car's doing better than normal and stopped worrying about it a few
months ago. (Possibility it's because it's got a 75 water pump driven
fan on a 79 motor, but I've never really explored that one).

So, I suppose the answer would be 'no', they're not designed to overheat
... you've likely got a problem somewhere. I'd check the radiator and
hoses and see what you find.

Corey
75 MGB 'Rags'
RD#373750