Re: Valve Clearance

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Valve Clearance
From: NKED65A@prodigy.com ( BOB NOGUEIRA)
Date: 12 Oct 96
-- [ From: Bob Nogueira * EMC.Ver #2.5.1 ] --

> Date: Friday, 11-Oct-96 01:53 AM
>
> From: Jayp177@aol.com          \ America On-Line: (JayP177)
>
> Anybody know why the valve lash varies from one cam manufacturer to
another
> when the duration is about the same. Some use .010 clearance and
another will
> use .024".

I'm no expert but I do Know that the materials used and size of the
components play a role in valve lash. If the rocker arm pedestal is aly
rather than cast iron, it will expand more thus raising the rockers
farther from the valve with the result that the clearance at hot would
be greater. A engine with aly pedestals would thus require less
clearance than one with cast iron pedestals .
Again, longer valves would expand more than a short valve when heated
thus the longer the valve the more clearance required.

Bob Nogueira       - The opinions expressed are not necessarily those
                                     of any  competent engineer and
therefor could be                                         wrong-