Re: Damn Cats!/amended/leash law

To: Larry Hoy <73253.1136@CompuServe.COM>
Subject: Re: Damn Cats!/amended/leash law
From: drded@ix.netcom.com (David Deutsch)
Date: Wed, 16 Oct 1996 01:50:20 -0700
I like cats, I just have a problem with irresponsible cat owners. I
like the below solution. You know, just by picking up the daily paper
that there are alot of sick people and out right viscious people in
this world. The point is that if you are an animal owner you should
make it a point to be conciderate to your community and take steps to
assure that your cuddly little furry ball of love is not a menancing
varment with sharp point teeth and claws to your neighbors. Pet ownship
is a huge responsible. As for whether or not I would really hurt a cat,
I would rather have you ask yourself that question and take steps to
protect your bundle of joy, which at the same time protects my property
then tell you it's ok to allow your animal to go on a rampage. I hope
you all are getting my point. I really don't think a common ground can
be reached here, it's kind of like that smoking cigarettes issue.
Safety Fast, David Deutsch

You wrote:

>Christopher,
>
>This won't be very popular with the cat lovers out there, but it does
work.  I
>had a similar problem as yours.  Our City has a leash ordinance for
dogs AND
>cats.  Since the animal control people cannot catch a cat like they
can a dog
>here is what they do.  They will loan the resident a trap.  The trap
is made by
>Have a Heart.  It is harmless to the animal.  When you have caught the
offending
>animal you just call animal control and they pick up the cage and the
cat.
>Beware, you may have several cats, you may be surprised.
>
>I did ask my neighbors to be more responsible with their pets prior to
the trap.
>Their typical reaction was,     "It can't by MY cat",     "I never let
MY cat
>out",   "MY cat never leaves our yard",  etc.
>
>Oh, by the way you will NOT be very popular with your neighbors but it
will
>solve the problem.  You will catch about one cat (sometimes two) every
24 hours!

>Larry
>1969 MGB

>> The neigborhood cats have taken a liking to my B  which is parked
under my
>> open carport. Aside from sharpening their nails on my canvas top,
scratching
>> the windows and lining my top with dirt and fur, they "spray" the
whole
>> carport area and car. What can I do to "teach" them to stay away?
I've