Tires for MGAs and Big Healeys

To: Trmgafun@aol.com
Subject: Tires for MGAs and Big Healeys
From: Editorgary@aol.com
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 1996 12:51:29 -0400
On Wednesday, May 23, you wrote:

From: Trmgafun@aol.com
Subject: What tires do I buy?

>I've got an MGA that I need to buy new tires for and would like to find some
>that are fairly "period like" in a radial.  Anyway, I stopped by the Tire
Rack after >work today, which is a fairly large distributor of tires and
wheels, to check on the >Perelli P3Centurado and was told that it had been
discontinued.  The only tire they >had that was of the right size (165/15)
and style for my car, was the Dunlop >SP4N which has also been discontinued.
They bought up a large supply of
>approximately 350+ tires, but when they're gone that's it.

Having driven the Pirelli P3s on my Healey to the brink of destruction, I had
the same question. I called British Wire Wheel yesterday regarding 165x15s
(close match in size and appearance to original 5.90x15 bias-plys). They have
three brands for sale: Avon Tudor Steel for $58@, Michelin XZX for $66, and
Dunlop SP4 for $53. No mention of any of these being discontinued. All are
S-rated, (safe up to 115 mph). All will fit the standard original rims.
So several options are available.
My question (for an article I'm researching) does anybody have any extended
experience with any of these brands that they would share (size, fit, ride
feel, longevity, any problems).
Thanks for the input.
Gary Anderson
Editor
British Car magazine, Los Altos, CA
60 Healey BN7, 55 Healey 100M, 71 MGB-GT, etc.