Re: 5 Main bearing year

To: "David M. Hall" <dhall@vcd.hp.com>
Subject: Re: 5 Main bearing year
From: Jim Boyd <gumby@joshuanet.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 1996 17:32:39 -0800
David M. Hall wrote:

> What year did the 5 main bearings start showing up in the
> MGB engine?
>
> I'm going to look at a 67 for sale.  Anything particular
> to worry about for this year?  (Besides the normal
> things.)
>
> Thanks!
>
> Dave
> dhall@vcd.hp.com
> dlhall@pacifier.com
> http://www.pacifier.com/~dlhall
> 72 MGB/GTDave:

I think the five mains started coming out in 1968.  So the '67 should
have a three main (unless it is a late car - look for reverse lights, a
late-in-the-year addition).

Of course, the car will have a non-synchro first gear.  Along with this,
the starter motor will protrude through the transmission bellhousing.
Sometimes this is a problem area if the huge starter spring gets stuck
(wear problems).

The offset for the non-synchro trans is that these transmissions have a
wonderful, sports car sound.  It is unfortunate that later gearboxes
lack that feel of the early cars.

Keep in mind that if you need parts for your "B", I have lots to offer.
Just call me with your needs!

Cheers!
Jim Boyd
Paradise, CA   '66 GT '67 GT, '69 GT, '69 Rdstr, '70 GT
                '60 Mini (project car), collecting TR6 & 7 stuff!