[Top] [All Lists]

Re: ignition warning light won't go off!

To: Felix Wong <felixksw@leland.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Re: ignition warning light won't go off!
From: Wayne Kube <>
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 1996 10:24:40 -0600
Felix Wong wrote:
> Just wanted to thank the numerous people who gave me advice
> on my alternator/idiot light problem.
> Anyway, I tested the voltage as the car was running, and it
> seemed to be normal (~15V).
> So, for the record, my idiot light has been on for 3 weeks now, but my
> B just keeps on going!  

Felix -

        Just my $0.02, but I'm guessing you may be looking in the wrong area. 
Unless you have changed to a later alternator with the built-in
regulator, your '69B should have an external regulator for the
alternator.  The ignition light connects to one terminal on the
regulator, the other side of the lamp goes to switched 12 volts.  It may
be you have a defective regulator, keeping the light on and sending too
much voltage to the batteries.  15 volts may be a little high - seems to
me that around 13.5 to 14 volts would be more correct.  Keep an eye on
your electrolyte level in the batteries - too high a voltage could
overcharge the batteries and boil out the electrolyte.
Wayne Kube
Plano, TX

<Prev in Thread] Current Thread [Next in Thread>
  • Re: ignition warning light won't go off!, Wayne Kube <=