Windshield Revisited

To: <mgs@AUTOX.TEAM.NET>
Subject: Windshield Revisited
From: "Warren Pruitt" <wpruitt@charleston.net>
Date: Thu, 9 Jan 1997 22:01:49 -0500
I posted a question regarding the windshield installation on a 70 roadster
a few weeks back. Several people responded and I appreciate the info, but
stopped on the windshield so as to maintain some semblance of sanity.
Having just received the car back (incomplete)from the fellow who was
repairing the body and painting, I have had plenty to keep me busy.

However I am fast running out of tasks (it is darned near finished--and
looks damn good) and the windshield dilemma has reared its ugly head again.

Here is my situation:

I have the side pillar bolts in, and there is a slight amount of adjustment
in the pillar alignment when two people push on it. However no amount of
"adjustment" appears as though it will get the pillar and the vent window
frame parallel (about 1/8" off-closer at bottom/farther at top). The center
support bracket is no longer riveted to the base of the winshield frame and
is about 1/2" rear of the frame on the cockpit. However I have the nut on
the center rod (or did before I sheared it the other night-I knew I
shouldnt have put that last turn on the ratchet).

The side pillar seals are real tight on the vent window frames and are
causing some binding when the doors are closed. There was a metal piece
with three holes (not the retainer that is riveted to the pillar) and sheet
metal screws that were evidently originally attached to the pillar seals in
some way. I did not take them off, so I don't have a clue how they are
supposed to go. The only reference I can find to them is in the Moss
catalogue, but nowhere else.

Here are my questions:

How parallel does the windshield pillar and vent frame have to be, and what
should the gap be?

Is it a major screw-up for the center rod support bracket to not be riveted
to the winshield frame base? It would seem that this might be a key to
pulling the frame tight to the body.

What the heck are the metal things on the pillar seals and how do they
attach?

Once this problem is licked, then I will put on the new roof and were
finished - well almost. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Warren Pruitt
Mt. Pleasant, SC
70 MGB Roadster