Re: Exporting MGs to the rest of the world.(Was: MG prices)

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Exporting MGs to the rest of the world.(Was: MG prices)
From: larryhoy@juno.com (Larry A Hoy) (by way of Bert Palte <vortex@worldaccess.nl>)
Date: Sun, 19 Jan 1997 20:27:47 GMT
You wrote:

There are a some interesting consequences to all this.  Certainly our
friends around the world end up with more cars to enjoy, the remaining
cars here in the States become more valuable, and don't forget  Steve
makes a living.  But what about new younger collectors who want to enjoy
LBCs?  What about the future of the collecting hobby.  What if there is
nothing to collect, or restore (here in the States)?

For your information:

At a recent MG club event,I spoke to the person who manages the national MGB
register.
Listed by chassis or VIN #, he has data on about 2000 of the MGBs that are
here in Holland. He told me that about 70 percent of these have been
imported, mainly
from the USA.
So in my opinion you definitely have a point there!
>From my own observation I would say that importing USA-originating MGBs has
started
here only in 1990 or so.
(I bought my 1970 B in 1989, at the time there were hardly any US imports here.
There were some Britain-imported MGBs here, at the time, but many people,
including myself, consider these pretty impractical because they have the
steering wheel at the 'wrong' side of the car).

On a related subject:

Later USA-model MGBs, that are now so ubiquitous over here,
are not noted for their fast throttle response.
At the same meeting, I saw a guy who offers conversion kits to bring these Bs
(with only one Zenith-Stromberg carb) up to 'normal' MGB performance.
The kit consists of inlet and exhaust manifolds, two 'rebuilt' (whatever
that may mean...) SU HS4 carbs, air filters and all associated hardware,
at a cost of only (Dfl. 600, that's about) US $ 340! (that's outright purchase,
_not_ exchange).
Sounds like a great deal to me, even though the parts are not new.

(Usual disclaimers apply, and I was not interested, as my car came with the
two HS4s..).

Greetings
Bert

Sorry for my late response, my job is killing me...
palte@rt.el.utwente.nl